Monday, May 07, 2007

Summer plans

Well, junior year has finally ended as of last Wednesday. Now I'm just crossing my fingers for good grades. Anyway, summer has rolled around and now it's time to "be productive." So what's going on this summer? In no particular order:

  • Research. I've gotten involved with two professors over the summer, both somewhat tied to security. One of them is with CERIAS, where I think I'll be working with Bennett. The other is with Professor Mathur, which means it's related to software testing (for this project, also related to security).
  • shaim. I started committing to shaim before school ended, and intend to continue doing so. For the 0.4 milestone, I'll be getting the event notifications plugin out, and for 0.5, I'll be working on getting IRC to work (making the third IRC client I've ever made).
  • CS180 preparation. I have a few things in mind to change to hopefully make CS180 a better experience for the students and the TAs, which I might post about later. By the way, for Purdue readers, if you're interested in being a TA, let me know.
  • Purdue CS Planet. A few of us came up with an idea of setting up something like a Planet except a bit more automated so it's low maintenance. No idea how far this idea will actually be taken, but I think it would be cool.

There's one more project that I won't mention for now, but between all of these, I think I'll be rather busy, but if I can manage my time well, I think this summer will ultimately be very productive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan!

When are you planning to start at CERIAS? I started working this week. I have no cool ideas and not enough motivation. We should toss around some ideas for for a planet site and make one this summer.

saiyr said...

I'm gonna start next Monday. I think if you have no ideas and motivation then we're in some CERIAS (!!!!) trouble. Are you going to work 40 hours/wk there? I agreed to work 20, so I won't be around nearly as much as you if you're working 40.

Luke said...

I looked into installing planetplanet. It was easy to install but it's a pain in the ass to set up. Anyone else want to step up?

saiyr said...

What are you including in the "set up" step? I'll look into it some time, anyway. Since I think I'll see Bennett often, we'll probably talk about it more then.

Unknown said...

I am interested in this planet thing too. Sounds like a good idea. Let me know if there is any way I can help out.