Sunday, August 09, 2009

A milestone in graduate life

Not much content here. Just documenting the fact that I got my first paper accepted at a conference last week. Not a super prestigious conference or awesome paper, but happy all the same, especially since it's my first attempt. I may get to go to Madrid as a result, since my partner has an expired visa.

While I'm here, I got back a little over a week ago from my first grad summer school, which is more like a conference than undergrad summer school – seems I have to explain this to everyone. It was pretty fun, aside from the terrible 100+ degree weather with no air conditioning in the dorms. Fortunately, it only lasted a few days. Lots of cool people there and some good lectures, though some were a bit over my head. I got accepted as a student volunteer for OOPSLA too, so I may be going to that (in Disney World!), and I'm flying down to Orlando for a meeting with people at UCF as well.

6 comments:

James said...

You wouldn't have to explain it if you just said that you went to a summer conference.

saiyr said...

But if I called it a summer conference, it would be wrong!

Bennett said...

Congratulations! What's your paper on?

saiyr said...

It's about Safety Critical Java, which is an API being built on top of RTSJ. Fun stuff.

Bennett said...

Does Safety Critical Java involve putting everything into Immortal Memory? (That was the best pun I could come up with ;) )

saiyr said...

Well, heap allocation is removed, so close. Everything is scoped memory. Scary thought, eh?