Saturday, January 01, 2011

2011: A new year, a new post

New years aren't actually that exciting to me. In fact, I may or may not have missed 12am, due to playing video games. This New Year's Day was going to be more interesting, since it was the official deadline for me to decide on whether or not to accept my offer from Google – the one I apparently didn't write about. I ended up deciding several weeks ago to accept the offer; most people who will read this probably already saw my Facebook status from the day I mailed my offer letter back. The decision didn't end up being easy (hurray life-altering choices), but I ended up making it based on the fact that I didn't progress to a point where I would be comfortable spending the next few years working on a thesis. Stopping at a Master's now makes the most sense, since I'll finish my requirements in May. At any rate, a new phase of life begins this year. I guess that phase is called "growing up." It should be...interesting.

In other news, my family went on a cruise for winter vacation this year. The respite from cold and snow was great and I think everyone had a good time. In hindsight, I think I really needed a break from the Internet and work. Despite taking a leisurely one class, toward the end of the semester, I think stress and frustration with various things/people were starting to take its toll on my well-being. The best ship entertainment was easily Second City. I didn't see them when they came to Purdue and now I regret it. Oh What a Night! was also a great act – a tribute to the music of The Four Seasons, interleaved with comedic banter. Eating cheesecake every night was also good entertainment. I made a Google Map to show where we went and put some details on the markers. Unfortunately, I didn't use my camera at all, so I have no pictures.


View Christmas 2010 Vacation Cruise in a larger map

2 comments:

Kamran said...

Congrats! I would love to work for google when I graduate..Did you have to secure the internship on your own or did career services help you get your foot in the door?

saiyr said...

I didn't use career services. I think this time I just applied through the website. If I recall correctly, they would tell us to do that anyway even if we used our university career services.