Friday, March 16, 2007

Week in Taiwan: Day 6

Today was my last day in Taipei with the rest of the students. Breakfast was the usual with an added dragonfruit at the end, which I guess was interesting. After checking out of the hotel, we left to pick up some students from Soochow before heading to Hsinchu Science Park for the day. On the way, some of the Soochow students were teaching us [weird] games that I guess they play during long bus rides, including some odd variation of hot hands, and some game where you try not to guess a certain number in a range that narrows by each guess. It was kind of like the first day all over again, because all of the Asian students besides Nelson thought I could speak Mandarin. I ended up pulling out what little I knew for a few minutes and thankfully didn't make myself look [too] retarded. I also got a present, an Xbox360 pen, from Nelson. Hurray.

When we got to the park, we went through some video orientation (which I guess is common at these parks, since the park at Nankang also had one) and toured the administrative building. There were a lot of items out to provide examples of what companies at Hsinchu did, though I think it was mostly semiconductor business. We also got to tour the museum, which was supposed to be inaugurated tomorrow, so we're the first group to tour the building, which I guess is cool, but there isn't very much in there.

Lunch was fairly uneventful. We sat about half and half with Soochow students who didn't speak very good English (or just didn't want to speak English), with the American representatives being Sherry, Angela, Juliette, Matt C., and myself. There was a fairly large amount of food, and it was interesting to see that the native students couldn't identify everything. One of them, who was allergic to crab, tried a mystery meat, even though someone already had said it was some kind of seafood; I guess they just like a lot of risk, or something. I think the highlight of lunch was Jeff successfully throwing a grape into Jack's mouth twice, while being two table spans apart.

We visited AUO after lunch, one of the largest LCD manufacturers in the world. Their orientation was apparently extremely boring, since half of the adults fell asleep. The demo room was cool; we got to see an LCD TV with some sort of technology that made it so that you could view it at any angle while still retaining the same color. After leaving AUO, we went on a campus tour via bus, which nobody really paid attention to. When we got back to the administrative building, it was time to leave. I waved, got off the bus, waved some more.

At this point, the rest of the trip is no longer worth talking about, because the majority of the people around me are not English speakers. I'm currently at my aunt's house, and will be traveling most of tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have Internet again tomorrow night, but there likely won't be anything to post about. Back to the regularly scheduled not posting.

No comments: